Saturday, May 7, 2016

Reaching Out for Help

Nov 2014, Around 20 months of age, Wilson was at my mom's, he was jumping around and we were naming animals.  He would say their sounds, frog was my favorite because he had a deep throated 'ribbit'.  His enunciation was off, but he definitely knew about 12-15 animal sounds and engaged in saying them.  Sometime in here, I'm driving and sneezing and he keeps saying something.  I realize he is saying "Bless you".  

Feb 2015, 2 years.  Wilson got ear tubes.  His favorites at the time were saying "Dada Di-der"(Daniel Tiger and "kiki-ooh ooh ah ah"(Monkey- and then monkey sounds)  He had a lot of words, and he would say them on his own.  He would sit with the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" and say things that we read.  He thanks me after a diaper change, so sweet.  I am worried about him not developing phrases-and I am watching his every move for signs of Autism-specifically antisocial behavior.  I see him at the babysitters engaging in very age-appropriate car play with his same age friend.  His friend is saying things like 'go!" and "yay!" and Wilson is copying him and laughing.

June 2015, 2.5 years.  I took a secret video of Wilson in the shower singing, "Twinkle Twinkle" and doing the actions.  He also asks to wear 'bow tie' to church and is giddy when we comply.  

July 2015, 2.5 years.  Some friends come over and Wilson is very interested in the two closest in age to him.  I witness him taking a turn out of his toy car to give the little one a turn and watching and waiting joyfully with a smile.  Our day to day struggles involve me starting a Daniel Tiger Social Song and him finishing the song, "Clean up, pick up, put away....."  "Nean up, de-dee-day!"  I tear up in a phone conversation about him and he comes running over to hug me.  I get a sonogram and he acts protective as they lean me back.

Sept 2015, 2 years, 9 month.  Wilson pretend plays guitar on a tennis racket and sings Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" after he sees us watching Kurt Cobain play guitar.

Oct 2015, 2 years, 8 months.  Wilson is into Toy Story.  We let him watch it some and he likes to use the action figures to act it out.  Sometimes he acts it with his own body and pretty decent acting.  He pretends to be Buzz and says, "To indoodoody a beyo!"  (to infinity and beyond!) as he jumps from things.  Wilson is clingy to mom.  He comes into bed with us every night and snuggles saying 'Mom, Dad?' clear as day and trying to hold one of us on each side.   He gives hugs and 'ugga muggas' like Daniel Tiger.  Loves swimming and airplanes.  He hears the airplanes and points them out to me with pointing.  He is a tidy eater, but OCD about how he wants things, fill the cup full, place it here.....and he is by far my pickiest eater, but likes toast and eggs which I eat a lot with him.  He also likes ham slices.

Dec 2015, 2 years, 10 months.  Ellie is born.  Wilson is still into Toy Story.  Wilson sings 'Rain, Rain' with less enunciation than singing in June, but recognizable.  Has conversations with me like, "It's airplane, right Mom?"  He goes through a phase where he carries the little figurines around the house and talks about them.  I can engage him in conversations about them like their names, "Is this Mickey?"  "no"  "Is this Mickey" "yesh."   I tell him about things like Donald's bow tie being red, and he repeats pieces like "Donald's bow tie" and examine it.  "Thank you" is heard by him less often and almost never unprompted.  Christmas gifts do not get a thank you even with prompting which I chalked up to the noise and busy-ness.

Jan 2015, almost 3.  I fill out paperwork for a formal questionaire on Wilson for evaluation in the Public Schools.  I note concerns in all speech areas, particularly with enunciation skills and lack of sentence structure.  I note many things he can do like say "Mine" and use simple "It's ---" sentences.  I note that he does play with peers, as is seen with his cousin and in previous times at playdates.  I describe him as generally compliant, but even then, am thinking how he is much less so than he once was.  He gets stuck and cries from the next room, "Hep me, Mom!"  One of the adjectives I use to describe him is "affectionate".

Feb 2015, 3.  Before his birthday party I coach "Thank you" for a week and then prompt it at the party with success.  He gets a lot of gifts, his favorite is the 'Mike Wasowski' Monsters Inc toys.  He says 'Mike Wasowski' a lot and wants to wear that t-shirt every day.  He is becoming less compliant daily about dressing and not just the shirts.  

April 2015, 3 and 2 months.  We get a look at his brain and find out there is no brain damage.  He has no seizures either.  I read about apraxia and how to treat it, as a result, I begin to teach him to ask for things with the phrase "May I have.....please?"  I pause after every word for him to repeat.  Then I move to just saying "May....." and he completes the phrase.  Then I simply say, "How do you ask?"  and he does.  THEN, out of nowhere one day, he looks at me like he has no idea when I say, "How do you ask?"  So I prompt, "May....", "May I....."  Then I re-coach it all like he'd never done it before.

May 2015, 3 and 3 months.  We have re-gained the phrase for asking with the prompting after a few days of re-teaching it.  I realize it has been ages since I've heard him sing a radio song or any song.  I haven't heard him jabber about "Mike Wasowski", "Dada Di-der", or "Gicky Mou" (Mickey Mouse).  Every once in a while he utters "Bu"(Buzz).  I realize I haven't heard any sentences like, "It's airplane, right, Mom?" in ages.  I haven't even had him reach out to me to tell me something and point like simply, "airplane".  I haven't had a hug from him in a while, or a kiss, or seen him hug or kiss anyone besides Ellie, and he often grabs her face, or mine and smooshes it, and it hurts.  When we wait for the bus to come for his services, he usually won't engage in 'The Wheels on the Bus with Me."  His spontaneous speech is probably about 3 words from being nonexistent.  

I am losing so much connection with my angel.  I want to reverse this as fast as I can, and stop the damage in its tracks. Please let me know if you have any resources that will help us get the quickest solution possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment