Sunday, December 1, 2013

In gratitude for my hero

After a week of vacation, I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow.  4 measly easy hours a day 4 days a week and I am so very depressed dwelling on it.  It's a great job but it is time away from the heaven I had last week of relaxing with my family and just going with the flow.  We need the structure, but I loved working through my own personal to do list instead of a work one.

Which brings me to a realization I have from time to time.  My husband has worked without a week break since our summer vacation, and before that, the birth of our child.  And a work day for him looks like wake at 3:45 AM, leave the house at 4:15 AM.  Get to work at 4:45 and do whatever it is he does as he dispatches air medical services.  Then he comes home at 5:35ish PM to a usually cluttered home, busy boys, a tired wife, and seldom a ready dinner.  After helping me with everything from diapers to trash, plus checking on the garden or doing a quick yard task, he helps wrangle kids into bed and follows up with for usually at least 15 minutes.  Then he manages a few brief minutes of internet browsing or non-cable TV snippets before falling asleep on the couch.  He does this 3-4 days each week.  Then, because he aspires to earn even more for our family, he signs up to work other days in between and often is on call another 1-2 days a week.  His days off involve yard work, my honey-do list, watching the kids(even while I take the occasional nap), and whatever else needs done.

So I will not waste another second dreading work tomorrow, and will spend the rest of my night marveling at how on earth this guy manages this day in day out without complaining or bitterness.  Something in him is pretty tough and incredibly selfless.  I'm a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment